VCA Hospital Manager II in Littleton, Colorado
Company Info: VCA Animal Hospitals operates more than 1,000 small animal veterinary hospitals in the U.S., Canada and Japan. The hospitals are staffed by more than 4,500 fully qualified, dedicated and compassionate veterinarians to give pets the very best in medical care, of which over 600 are board certified specialists who are experts in areas such as oncology, cardiology, emergency and critical care, and surgery for animals. VCA Animal Hospitals provides a full range of general practice services to keep pets well and specialized treatments when pets are ill. As part of the Mars Veterinary Health family of brands, VCA is committed to its purpose—A BETTER WORLD FOR PETS®.
If you are a current employee, you need to apply through our internal career site. Please log into Workday and click on the Career worklet on the landing page or search for Find Jobs. You can also copy the link below into a browser to apply through our internal career site:
Since 1984, Deer Creek Animal Hospital has been accredited by the American Animal Hospital Association. That means our hospital meets AAHA’s strict standards of excellence in diagnostic capabilities, anesthesia, surgery, pharmacy, nursing, and emergency care.
Our veterinary doctors work as a team and consult on challenging cases. Many of our veterinarians have special interest areas and advanced skills. This access to a wide range of expertise provides quantifiable benefits to your pet’s care.
The entire Deer Creek team of skilled veterinary professionals care deeply about your pet’s wellbeing. Our compassion is evident from the moment you step in the door and throughout all your encounters—whether it is with our client care staff, our certified veterinary technicians, our boarding care staff, or our highly trained veterinarians. We pride ourselves in being at the forefront of the use of new technology and routinely employ the latest tools and methods in our practice.
As neighbors and as a Littleton small business, we value our place in the community. Whether through animal rescue and welfare or philanthropy for the Children’s Hospital Colorado and Littleton Adventist Hospital, we give back to the local community.
Position Title: Hospital Manager
Reports To: Field Manager Department: Hospital Management - Operations Employee
Under policy direction from the Field Manager with support of and input from Medical Director, the Hospital Manager performs a wide range of difficult to complex administrative activities related to hospitals providing quality patient care and excellent client service, management of finances and accounting, marketing and promotion of services, staffing and human resources, and discretionary activities, that serve to support effective business operations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Customer service.
• Personnel management.
• Financial budget management.
• Knowledge of sales and marketing techniques.
• Good communication skills, both written and oral, goal oriented.
• Background in managing service oriented operations.
• Ability to plan, organize and effectively present ideas and concepts.
• Ability to take information obtained from clients, staff, and other sources, discern that which is credible and assess the hospital and its operation objectively.
• Must be able to handle multiple tasks at once, and deal with high levels of stress in an environment of changing priorities.
Education and Experience:
• High School Diploma. Some college education preferred.
• Must have a minimum of 3 years experience in medical care facility operations management with profit and loss responsibility.
• Budget management experience.
• Knowledge of sales and marketing techniques.
• Human resource skills.
• Training and client relations experience.
• Thorough knowledge of the veterinary profession.
• Interview prospective employees.
• Hire, train, review, schedule discipline, and discharge employees.
• Can spend up to $200/month without authorization.
• Can transfer employees to work another position within the hospital.
• Can transfer employees from part-time to full-time staying with controlled payroll budget.
• Dependable attendance is required.
• Any allergies to animals must be controllable through medication.
• Must be able to lift 40 pounds.
• Must be willing to work long or irregular hours under pressure conditions.
• This position requires the ability to walk, bend, stand and reach constantly during a minimum 8-hour day.
• Visual acuity sufficient to maintain accurate records, recognizes people and understands written directions.
• Ability to speak and hear sufficiently to understand, give information in person and over the telephone.
• Fine motor skills adequate for utilizing office equipment such as facsimile machines, computers, copiers and hospital equipment such as laboratory equipment, radiology equipment, etc.
The following is a list of essential job requirements. This list may be revised at any time and additional duties not listed here may be assigned as needed.
Job Functions and Job Responsibilities include overseeing that the following occur within the hospitals.
• Hiring with appropriate references.
• Staff performance and salary reviews.
• Disciplinary Action.
• Training, education, developing of staff.
• Assign job responsibility to each staff member.
• Supervise staff to assure that each job is being effectively handled.
• Employee policy enforcement.
• Employee relations and communications.
• Payroll calculations, goal calculations, time clock maintenance.
• Organize and conduct staff meetings.
• Delegate tasks as needed to staff members.
• Monitor employee competence and effectiveness.
• Oversees training of all staff in accordance to the principals of the VCA Mission Statement, Three Steps Of Service and VCA Standards of Client Service and that the above is known and practiced by all.
• Oversee client flow to ensure that clients and patients are seen and treated in a professional, timely and competent manner.
• Responsible for administration and review of non-medical client complaints.
• Oversee call back system including overdue reminder calls.
• Oversee collections and returned checks.
• Oversee billing, calculation of any discounts and other special accounts.
• Modify and update systems and procedures wherever needed to better serve clients, patients, the practice and employees (i.e., modify schedules for the most productive use of time).
• Verify receipt of all supplies, mark invoices and packing slips received and send them in for payment to corporate.
• Monitor purchasing.
• Prepare packets of information to be sent to the corporate office.
• Sort and process the daily mail.
• Management feedback reports - bi-weekly.
• Perform transaction corrections.
• Make certain bank deposits are made daily.
• Ensure that all hospital logs are being kept up to date and accurate including anesthesia/surgery, radiology and controlled substance logs.
• Ensure that the OSHA and Safety program, procedures and reporting are being continuously monitored and updated so the hospital is in safety compliance.
• Meet with the Medical Director and Regional Medical Director and/or Regional Operations Director (District Manager or Area Supervisor) regularly to discuss evaluate and plan for the welfare of the practice.
• Ensure that marketing events are effective - internal and external.
• Motivate staff.
• Check all transactions for accuracy and missed services through regular daily audits.
• Monitor the cost of purchasing so the practice operates within budget.
• Monitor staff scheduling so the practice operates within budget.
• Monitor and approve all expenditures within guidelines.
• Review the income statements and other financial data to find ways to improve revenues and hospital contribution.
• Meet regularly with the veterinary staff to review financial performance.
• Oversee petty cash control.
• Review charges on a daily basis to ensure that all charges have been captured.
• Responsible for cash control in hospital ensuring VCA standards are followed. • Review accounts receivable to confirm proper and timely process.
• Understand, participate and support planned marketing events and programs. • Ensure that the hospital staff utilizes the marketing tools and materials to be used in the marketing events and programs.
• Ensure that the hospital staff follows instructions for implementing authorized marketing discounts in the computer system.
• Oversee the maintenance/housekeeping of the hospital for orderliness and cleanliness of both the inside and outside of the building.
• Monitor janitorial responsibilities.
• Oversee that the VCA safety procedures are implemented and followed.
• Oversee facility and equipment maintenance and repairs, keeping a repair log. • Authorized to make repair decisions less than $200 without checking with the District Manager or Area Supervisor.
• Attends regional meetings.
• Schedule regular doctors meetings.
• Plan hospital management meetings.
• Organize monthly staff meeting agenda in conjunction with hospital management team and VCA guidelines.
• Read and respond to all communication in a timely manner.
• Ensure that VCA policies, guidelines and recommendations are quickly communicated to hospital staff and adequate training follows.
Benefits: We offer competitive compensation along with a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision and paid vacation/sick days, 401(k), generous employee pet discounts and more!
The information in this position description indicates the general nature and level of work to be performed. It is not designed to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Management reserves the right to revise the job description or require that other tasks be performed when the circumstances of the job change (for example, emergencies, change in personnel, workload, or technical development).
VCA began in 1986 as a privately owned company with one animal hospital. Today, we are the largest family of animal care providers nationwide. Despite unprecedented growth, VCA has never abandoned its devotion to compassionate, comprehensive pet care. Take a look at our open positions throughout the U.S. and Canada! We’re always looking for top notch talent to join the VCA family!