Community Hospital Patient Registration, CMU Student Health Center/Pediatrics, Full-Time in Grand Junction, Colorado
SUMMARY OF JOB:
Manages incoming and outgoing phone calls, registers and screens patients and visitors, and maintains patient information by performing the following duties in accordance with Community Hospital and Clinic policies and procedures.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
WHEN ASSIGNED TO PHYSICIAN PRACTICES:
- Communicates the admitting process to the patients of the practice.
- Put schedule updates into the computer.
- Interviews patient or representative to obtain and record in computer the patient name, address, age, persons to notify in case of emergency, attending Physician, and individual or insurance company responsible for payment of bill.
- Assembles patient forms for scheduled appointments including super bill, consent, authorization, and physical forms; verifies accurate and current patient information.
- Schedules appointments and records all information in patient charts.
- Prepares daily appointment schedules for the physician and physician assistants.
- Explains clinic regulations/policies such as payment of accounts and schedule of charges.
- Obtains signed statement/forms from patient to protect clinic's interests.
- Receives payments on account and collects initial payment based on co-pay or deductible amounts.
- Completes administrative functions for the clinic.
- Processes incoming and outgoing calls efficiently, politely, and as quickly as possible.
- Documents all phone messages given and received.
- Assists in scanning patient information, lab results, correspondence in patient files and filing charts as necessary.
- Prepares other accounting documents or reconciliations as requested by the Practice Administrator.
- Responsible for insuring that all equipment is turned off and doors are locked at the end of the day.
- Attend regular department meetings.
WHEN ASSIGNED TO CALL CENTER:
- Operates the switchboard console to process incoming calls, screens and extends calls to appropriate departments or personnel.
- Able to recognize and answer all calls using correct identification according to call type and facility. Includes proper identification of various Answering Service locations.
- Acts as a customer advocate by assisting callers with a pleasant, soothing, helpful voice using proper grammar and appropriate language.
- Assists in the placement of outgoing calls as needed.
- Serves as an Answering Service for various clinics and medical facilities. Includes screening calls, logging information, and utilizing on-call protocols for message disbursement.
- Serves as control center for on-call personnel, including Surgery Staff, Administrator on-call, Building & Grounds, etc. Includes screening calls, logging information, and utilizing on-call protocols for message disbursement.
- Operates paging systems to locate and dispatch personnel utilizing broadcast paging (overhead), two way communication terminals, text messaging methods and in-house paging system.
- Responsible for on-call protocols and listings for Physicians, Home Health Agencies and hospital departments on a daily basis.
- Contacts interpreters as requested. Includes language and hearing impaired interpreters as well as use of TTY (text telephone) equipment. Disbursement of specialized equipment as needed.
- Monitors all emergency and maintenance equipment, including the fire alarm system, Code Blue panel, severe weather monitor, and Building & Grounds alarms, exterior door alarms and Johnson Controls alarm monitoring system.
- Initiates inter-hospital procedures for all emergency situations and alarms.
- Anticipates potential customer public relations problems and non-routine problems and advises the Supervisor.
- Tracks and compiles statistical data as requested.
- Performs clerical and miscellaneous duties as requested.
- Attend regular department meetings.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
High school diploma or equivalent with at least one (1) year of related experience and/or training in a medical/clinic practice. OR Equivalent combination of education and experience.