Community Hospital OR Scrub Tech, Full-Time in Grand Junction, Colorado
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The following statements are illustrative of the essential functions of the job and do not include other non-essential or marginal duties that may be required. Community Hospital reserves the right to modify or change the duties or essential functions of this job at any time. All responsibilities may not be performed by all incumbents.
- The Surgical Technician will prepare for surgical procedures by:
a. Establishing and maintaining the sterile field
b. Assisting in anticipating surgeon?s needs with surgical procedures by having appropriate supplies and instruments on hand
c. Collaborating with circulation RN, surgeon, and surgeon?s assistant for any added needs for the procedure
d. Inspecting supplies, equipment and instrumentation pulled for the surgical procedure; marks card appropriately. e. Caring for instrumentation and equipment during and following surgical procedure; always checking ?blue wraps?.
- The Surgical Technician will properly handle instrumentation following procedures by:
a. Disposing of all sharps appropriately
b. Appropriately taking case cart to SPD
c. Communicating with SPD staff for any special care needs or return of instruments for subsequent surgical cases
- Medication administration will be completed by:
a. Accurately labeling all medications on sterile field
b. Disposing of all medications appropriately
- The Surgical Technician will assist with patient by:
a. Preparing patient?s surgical suite for needed supplies and equipment for day of and next day
b. Maintaining awareness of patient safety needs at all times
c. Continuously maintaining focus on surgical procedure in assigned room
d. Anticipating patient, surgeon, anesthesia, and circulating RN needs
e. Assisting with room turnover, including cleanup of supplies, instrument and equipment returns
f. Maintaining standards of professional care in accordance with Association of Operating Nurses (AORN) standards
- The Surgical Technician will provide expertise by:
a. Assisting with orientation and education of staff and students
b. Demonstrating ability to use critical thinking skills by assessing situation and adapting to changes
- The Surgical Technician will act as a resource by:
a. Demonstrating clinical expertise and contributes to the advancement of professional practices by communicating current research and trends related to a specialty
b. Ensuring patient and surgeon needs are being met through collaboration and use of preference cards
c. Coordinating with materials management buyer on specialty needs to maintain proper adequate par levels and instruments in relation to stock requirements and upcoming surgeries
d. Coordinating, developing, implementing, and evaluating specialty education programs in collaboration with clinical nurse educator, OR Manager, and or Director to meet the needs of the perioperative staff
e. Expanding clinical expertise through appropriate education
f. Maintaining and updating surgeon preference cards correctly
- For staff working at Community Hospital, required to take call as assigned and arrive within 30 min.
a. FOR THOSE WORKING MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY ? Surgical Tech will not take overnight call unless Weeknight On Call Guaranteed Pay Position staff have requested off. When those staff are off, a day by day call assignment will be assumed by Day/evening staff. Weekday staff are required a minimum of 1 weekend (Saturday and Sunday) in a 6 week period.
b. FOR THOSE WORKING AS THE WEEKNIGHT ON CALL GUARANTEED PAY POSITION STAFF ? these staff members are available on call from 5pm to 7 am the following day. Staff in this position are not required to take weekend call (Saturday and Sunday).
I. Weeknight On-Call Guaranteed Pay Position staff are available on call from 5pm to 7am the following day.
II. Duties consist of but are not limited to:
- Arriving within 30 minutes of ?Call In? and immediately relieve staff in respective OR room upon arrival if applicable. If called in for own case/room immediately schedule/set up room for case/get patient on arrival
- Precede to perform cases ensuring patient safety and coordinating with House Supervisor as needed once arrived
- Communicate with Preop and PACU when applicable
- Restock/replace supplies as needed in room
- Review room set up/stocking needs for next day if not already completed by evening staff
- Communicate additional schedule/case needs to house supervisor and/or with OR Charge RN
- If between 5pm and 8pm, can be requested to come in and assist 1st OR room if needed
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: High school diploma or equivalent Certification as a surgical technician preferred with at least one (1) year of related experience OR equivalent combination of education and experience. Orthopedic experience is preferred.
CERTIFICATES/LICENSES: BLS on hire Certification as a surgical technician (preferred)