HCA, Hospital Corporation of America RN Clinical Professional Development Educator - Peds Periop/OR - FT Days in Denver, Colorado
Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children
At Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children, you'll find that caring extends to both our patients and our people. We are committed to each other because when we join together, our patients are cared for in the safest and most compassionate way. Are you looking for an employer with many different career options and a people-focused culture? You've come to the right place.
RMHC provides an excellent experience for kids and their families who are looking for continuity of care and the highest level of expertise at the bedside. While academic medical centers can provide excellent patient care, dealing with new and training physicians can be stressful on families. That’s why at RMHC, all our physicians are pediatric board-certified attending physicians who are experts in their field and have years of experience treating children.
We provide excellent 24/7 pediatric attending physician coverage, pediatric nurses, ancillary staff, equipment and supplies specifically designed for kids.
RMHC has over 200 pediatric subspecialty physicians, including:
- Pediatric intensive care
- Pediatric oncology
- Pediatric cardiology
And many more
Clinical Professional Development Educator This position is responsible for enhancing professional practice and the provision of quality patient care by providing evidence-based, quality educational programs and activities that promote professional competency for nursing, inter-professional and non-licensed clinical staff at assigned facility.
The CPDE actively collaborates in the entire orientation/onboarding process. This includes participating in the development, coordination, managing, facilitating, conducting, and evaluating on-boarding and orientation programs for nursing and other healthcare personnel. To meet this expectation includes the following:
•Provides orientation/onboarding programs to promote employee retention •Conducts orientation in a manner that facilitates a positive learning environment •Promotes cost effectiveness through implementation of efficient orientation/onboarding practices •Role models organizational and personal commitment to new employee success •Collaborates with the Education Coordinator the logistics of orientation to keep all stakeholders informed •Collaborates with the Director Clinical Professional Development to adjust the program based on evaluation results •Incorporates organizational values/culture
The CPDE is responsible to have the expertise in competency assessment in order to participate in the development, coordination, and managing, facilitating, conducting, and evaluating competency. To meet this expectation includes the following:
• Comprehends and interprets competencies to staff • Role models competent practice • Identifies learning needs of staff • Assesses practice gaps comparing competencies to actual practice • Plans educational content with learner engagement • Collaborates with the Clinical Education Market Director to review outcomes data to evaluate and refine competency management activities. • Identifies appropriate resources for problem solving
Education is designed to improve professional practice and provision of quality care. To accomplish this goal the CPDE participates in designing and identifying educational activities to address practice gaps for identified target audiences, which may include licensed and non-licensed healthcare personal in alignment with HCA and division clinical education request and development processes.
These activities are developed to achieve specific outcomes related to identified deficits or opportunities for improvement in knowledge, skill and practice. To meet this expectation includes the following:
• Assesses practice gaps. • Identifies learning needs. • Identifies desired outcomes • Plans educational content delivery with learner engagement. • Collaborates with Clinical Education Market Director to evaluate and adjust educational programs based on evaluations and feedback • Promotes safe, quality and compassionate patient care.
• Aligns educational programs with organization’s policies and procedures • Ensures that educational programs meet regulatory requirements. • Understands adult educational theory and able to apply to the development of educational programs. • Demonstrates an understanding and ability to apply evaluation methodologies, (i.e., Kirkpatrick) into courses and curriculum to refine clinical programs. • Incorporates organizational values/culture. • Supports new ideas and innovation in educational design • Identifies resources for problem solving. • Utilizes current, best evidence. • Provides staff with resources and education to implement changes
Research Evidence-based Practice (EBP)/Quality Improvement (QI)
The CPDE must promote and integrate the EBP in order to continuously improve practice. In addition, they promote research, EBP, and QI in patient care settings. CPDE may conduct, encourage, facilitate, and/or participate in research, EBP, and QI, including dissemination of findings. To meet this expectation includes the following:
• Works with others to identify problems and solutions and collaboratively create the change strategy • Assists in the implementation of change strategies • Embraces meaningful change and fosters acceptance, adoption and action toward change in others • Identifies appropriate evidence to guide practice decisions • Creates a supportive environment for nursing research, scientific inquiry, quality improvement and evidenced-base practice • Supports research activities that align with the organizational strategic plan • Disseminates research findings through educational programs, courses, and other activities • Consistently maintains and sustain practice changes using principles of implementation science • Exhibits creativity and flexibility through times of change
The CPDE collaborates with partners to share experience in planning and decision making to achieve the desired results. Inter-professional collaboration involves multiple healthcare personnel from different professional backgrounds collaborating to deliver the highest quality.
• Works collaboratively with inter-professional teams as assigned • Identifies opportunities for collaboration; initiates collaborative efforts i.e., facility Chief Nursing Officer (CNO), Associate CNO and Nursing Directors • Considers and communicates impact of activities on other departments/professions/community • Demonstrates the ability to utilize evidence-based simulation models to design, implement, evaluate, and standardize educational programs for staff in the use of clinical simulation, debriefing and assessment. • Communicates professionally using appropriate methods • Collaborates with the Market Director, Clinical Professional Development on a regular basis to review outcomes data to evaluate and refine educational activities. • Contributes to organizational initiatives/strategic planning as appropriate
Professional Role Development
Professional role development involves identification and development of strategies to facilitate a continuous process of maturation through lifelong learning. This type of development allows for role transition, role integration, skill acquisition and mastery as learners advance from novice to expert in their professions and specialties. To meet this expectation includes the following:
• Participates in lifelong learning; provides lifelong learning • Provides expertise in identifying professional development needs of individual staff • Assists staff to identify areas for individual growth in current role • Directs staff to career advancement resources • Utilizes novice to expert continuum when developing staff • Contributes insights and feedback for succession planning • Identifies and provides opportunities for skill enhancement and mastery • Promotes certification
• Monitors the practices or operations with reference to laws, regulations, guidelines, or industry practices to assess compliance, risk, or exposure while communicating key performance indicators for clinical education service line within their division. • Ensures that the work of the clinical education team develops educational content to meets the accreditation standards of the Joint Commission, Medicare, Medicaid and similar organizations from an educational perspective. • Accountable for delivery of clinical education services and practices that create a patient-centered organization, driven by customer feedback and data. • Ensures efficient and effective delivery of quality clinical education content and programs to drive improved clinical metrics. • Contributes and works collaboratively with division and facility education team to support hospital wide improvement in meeting core measures, patient safety, and service excellence goals through clinical education.
• Fosters a Service Excellence culture • Understand nursing unit’s results to identify opportunities to support improvement in internal or external customer satisfaction and/or patient experience. • Inspires pride in HCA and organizational outcomes by developing a superior clinical identity and culture-of-excellence which inspires higher expectations for care in the physicians, nurses and other clinicians than externally imposed standards. • Promotes consistent positive patient interactions when coaching clinical staff that advance the agenda of unparalleled patient service. • Establishes a culture of accountability for effectively managing expenses and delivering cost-effective healthcare in the communities we serve.
• Supports strategic planning and business development within the clinical education area of responsibility that may include technology advances and other opportunities to drive differentiation support the growth agenda. • Represents the organization positively within the community; participates in company supported community/patient events and in-services. • Supports external relationships which advances the organization's position within the community, grows the business and improves the health of communities served. • Stays abreast of regulatory changes, emerging technology, and advancements in healthcare delivery. • Stays abreast of external factors and opportunities impacting healthcare; to include political, legislative and regulatory changes, emerging technologies, and advancements in healthcare delivery. Understands the competitive landscape. Supports the organization to be positioned strategically to respond to these changing healthcare dynamics and market environments.
• Participates with the division education team to contribute to the development of long and short range operational and capital budgets aligned to business objectives • Provides requested data for assigned facility to assist in completing monthly operations; provides information on variances to the Director, Clinical Professional Development or other education leadership and action plans to address gaps • Understands impact on department performance in accordance with established budget. Including the utilization of staffing, supplies, equipment. • Participates in the annual budget process providing input into assigned facility expense forecasts, staffing, supply and equipment needs. • Identifies cost reduction opportunities and implements actions to achieve savings.
• Practices and adheres to the Code of Conduct • Participate in providing simulation models in the simulation lab.
Calling all Nurses! Please join us - Broncos Stadium at Mile High
Broncos Stadium/United Club Level East | 1701 Bryant St, Denver, CO
Sept. 26, 2018 | 4:00 - 8:00 pm
Registration is preferred, visit:
Walk-ins welcome! For more information call: 303-584-6067
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Nursing, Healthcare Administration, Education or other clinical related field - Required
- Master's degree in Nursing, Healthcare Administration, Education or other clinical field - Preferred
3 years of experience in clinical education; 5 years’ experience in an acute care hospital - Required (Or equivalent combination of education and/or experience) Licenses, Certifications, and Training
Currently licensed as appropriate to education in the state(s) in which he or she practices, in accordance with law and regulation. - Required
- Certification as NPD Practitioner and/or clinical certification as recognized by American Nurse Credentialing Center. Preferred
BLS Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Behaviors
Service and Quality Excellence: Ability to demonstrate an uncompromising commitment to delivering exceptional care to create an unmatched value proposition for our clinicians and patients. - Required
- Honor our Mission and Values: Ability to build trust and act with authenticity to cultivate a culture of integrity, inclusion, and mutual respect. - Required
- Effective Decision Making: Ability to make timely, informed decisions that are in the best interest of our patients, employees, providers, community and HCA. - Required
- Attain and Leverage Strategic Relationships: Ability to develop and strengthen collaborative relationships with both internal and external stakeholders to advance the care of our patients and the growth of HCA. -Required
- Lead and Develop Others: Ability to lead others to accomplish organizational goals and objectives; provide meaningful coaching and mentoring to increase the capabilities of individuals and teams and drive employee engagement .- Required
- Communicate with Impact: Ability to deliver information in a clear, concise, and compelling manner to effectively engage others and achieve desired results. - Required
- Achieve Success through Change: Ability to identify opportunities for improvement and innovation, remove barriers and resistance, and enable desired behaviors. - Required
- Drive Execution and Financial Results: Ability to commit to the success and financial wellbeing of HCA by challenging others to excel and hold themselves and others accountable for achieving results. - Required
- Independent Judgment: Ability to use independent judgment and decision making in the execution of supervisory responsibilities, including when considering schedules, workload, and skill mix in assigning work; rewarding, counseling, or disciplining employees; leading and developing others; and directing employees within their responsibility.
Job: *Education Training & Professional Development
Title: RN Clinical Professional Development Educator - Peds Periop/OR - FT Days
Location: Colorado-Denver-Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children
Requisition ID: 03166-72277