City of Colorado Springs Emergency Response Technician in Colorado Springs, Colorado
Description / Position Overview
Read why COS is 'One of the Best Places to Live' according to US News and World Report.**
CSPD (Colorado Springs Police Department) will be reviewing applications as needed to fill positions during the duration of this job posting. Applicants chosen to move forward in the selection process will be contacted by CSPD.
Learn about the City of Colorado Springs as an employer and what our beautiful city has to offer as a place to live and work by clicking on the following links:http://www.choosecoloradosprings.com/
This information may change annually.
ERT (Emergency Response Technician)
The Colorado Springs Police Department seeks candidates who are confident, composed, flexible, adaptable, tolerant, and can work effectively as ERTs in its cutting edge, fast-paced Communications Center.
Essential Job Functions - the basic job duties an employee must be able to perform:
- Receive, prioritize, and respond to 911 emergency and non-emergency calls for police, fire, and medical assistance and information; determine appropriate jurisdictions and services needed; transfer callers to proper agencies; and provide public safety personnel with accurate information
- Provide EMD (Emergency Medical Dispatch) self-help and pre-arrival instructions to callers; maintain continuous telephone contact with callers during emergency situations until police, medical, and fire personnel make personal contact
- Use a CAD (Computer Aided Dispatch) computer terminal or a manual system to notify dispatchers of needed police/medical/fire response; act as a link between police/fire personnel, dispatch, department personnel, and other agencies
- Update personnel en route to calls by accurately relaying information and messages
- Enter and retrieve information from computer systems such as the NCIC (National Crime Information Computer) and the CCIC (Colorado Crime Information Computer) through the CBI (Colorado Bureau of Investigations) network; place and receive calls for people who are deaf by operating TTY communications equipment
- Deal calmly with the public in emergency situations; complete several tasks simultaneously
- Enter information regarding towed and repossessed vehicles
Provide on-the-job training for new communications personnel We are looking for candidates who demonstrate:
Knowledge of public safety dispatching and/or call taking protocols
- Ability to comprehend critical information to ensure proper resources are dispatched
- Ability to make quick and lucid decisions
- Ability to accurately type 40 net words per minute
- Ability to successfully pass the CritiCall testing series This position requires excellent decision-making and communication skills, good judgment, and the ability to multi-task while maintaining a high degree of emotional self-control. The ability to handle stressful, negative, and sometimes aggressive situations in also required.
Successful candidates will have:
- High school diploma or GED
- Possess, or obtain within three months of hire, the following certifications: CPR (Cardiopulmonary resuscitation), EMD (Emergency Medical Dispatcher), EPD (Emergency Police Dispatch), EFD (Emergency Fire Dispatch), CBI (Colorado Bureau of Investigation), CCIC/NCIC (Colorado Crime Information Computer/National Crime Information Computer), CJIS (Criminal Justice Information Services), ICS (Incident Command System) 100 & 700, and NCMEC (National Center for Missing and Exploited Children
Ideal candidates will also demonstrate:
- Specialized training in dispatch communications or a related field
- Experience working in a public safety setting, including public safety dispatch experience
- Experience with CJIS, CAD, NCIC, and CCIC computer systems
- Current CPR certification and EMD, EPD, and EFD certifications
- Bilingual (Spanish)
Machines, Tools, Equipment, and Work Aids: Fax, scanner, telephone, headset, workstation with moveable decks, ergonomic adjustable chairs, computer, and printer.
Specialized Computer Equipment and Software: Quick Response, CAD, CCIS/NCIC, CJIS, LERMS, ProQA, MS Office, Contact Map, Twitter, Facebook, Citizen Observer, 3si, CSU database, and BOSS3.
The job offer will be contingent upon successful completion of a polygraph examination, extensive background check, and other pre-employment assessments.
Applicants that have used marijuana within 18 months _of the initial testing date_ will not be eligible for hire. More information about the Colorado Springs Police Department's Marijuana Use Policy can be found at https://coloradosprings.gov/police-department/page/marijuana-use?mlid=5091.
This is a shift position requiring the ability to work varied hours and days in a closed, secure environment.
Physical Demands:This position requires the ability to lift up to 20 pounds occasionally and 10 pounds frequently.
Environmental Conditions Primary Work Environment - Office environment with moderate noise level from several sources creating constant activity
This job announcement is not intended to include a complete listing of all responsibilities, knowledge, skills, and abilities associated with the position.
The City does not sponsor applicants for work visas.
Please visit https://coloradosprings.gov and click on 'Apply for a City Career' > 'City Career Postings – Apply Now' button to complete an online application. All job applicants will need to create a new login and online application (unless you already have a NEOGOV/governmentjobs.com user ID and password).
Completing your application in full, including the entire work experience section, will assist Human Resources (HR) in the applicant screening process. Your application may not be considered if all of the information requested for each employer you list is not provided.
Our NEOGOV application system does not allow you to edit your application after it has been submitted for a position. If you want to make changes, you may submit another application prior to the position's closing date and time listed in the job posting. HR will review the last application you submit for a position.
To view the status of your application, go to http://agency.governmentjobs.com/cosprings/default.cfm.
To be notified of future career opportunities, go to http://coloradosprings.gov/jic
If hired, you will be required to provide proof of your eligibility to work in the United States.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Salary: $3,361.00 - $4,035.00 Monthly
Location: Police Department - City of Colorado Springs, CO
Job Type: Classified - Full Time
Division (Level 4): Colorado Springs Police Department
Job Number: 13496
Closing: 12/31/2020 4:00 PM Mountain
Agency: City of Colorado Springs
Address: 30 South Nevada Avenue, Suite 301 Colorado Springs, Colorado, 80903
Phone: 719-385-5171 719-385-5171