Katmai Anesthesia Registered Nurse (POPE, ASU, PACU) in Colorado Springs, Colorado
The contract nursing personnel shall perform essentially the same duties as those required of any military or government civil service nurse of similar experience and in similar duty assignments. The Registered Nurses report and are accountable to the Nurse Manager.
- Collects, interprets, records, and communicates pertinent patient data relevant to the patient’s care before, during, and after surgery.
- Actively observes patients and takes appropriate action as indicated by problems.
- Correctly and thoroughly uses and adheres to established protocols in preparing patients for examination, specialized tests and surgery.
- Formulates nursing diagnosis based upon health status data by accurately interpreting assessment data and identifying patient problem/nursing diagnosis pertinent to surgical procedure.
- Develops a plan of care that prescribes nursing actions to achieve patient goals by establishing priorities for nursing actions.
- Effectively ensures patient procedures, treatments and medications are administered in accordance with (IAW) physician orders, sound nursing judgment and applicable guidelines.
- Accurately administers medications orally, intramuscularly, sub-cutaneous, intravenously, topically, etc., including narcotics and prescribed intravenous therapy, and maintains awareness of the effects of the medications on patients.
- Regularly ensures a safe, clean work environment is maintained for patients and staff. Exercises the standard precautions set forth by the CDC when providing direct patient care.
- Provides for patient privacy through maintaining confidentiality and physical protection of patient information.
- The contract nursing personnel are required to generate and maintain proper medical records on beneficiaries to whom treatment is provided in accordance with Air Force Instructions on Medical Record Administration. All records generated in the performance of the contract will remain the property of and subject to exclusive control of the Government.
- Facilitates collaboration with all levels of health care management to include outside agencies. Performs utilization management activities to optimize cost, quality, and access to care. Adheres to medical group operating instructions (operating instructions provided during orientation). Facilitates evidenced-based clinical practice. Provides comprehensive professional nursing care to normal and high-risk patients; documents actions.
- Air Force Facilities
- BSN degree in Nursing from a National League of Nursing or from an American Academy College of Nursing accredited college or university.
- Army Facilities
- Associate’s Degree in Nursing. A Baccalaureate Degree (BS/BSN) is strongly desired, but not mandatory.
- Hold a current, active, full and unrestricted Registered Nurses (RN) licensed in Colorado compact state from any United States jurisdiction.
- Hold a national or state nursing license that is valid and current with no limitations, stipulations or pending adverse actions. License must be unencumbered and remain in effect during contract employment.
- Hold a current Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) certificate by the American Heart Association, Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) and Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS). These certifications shall be maintained in a current status at all times while performing services under this contract at no expense to the Government.
- Must have a minimum of two-years of Post Anesthesia Care Unit (PACU)/Intensive Care Unit (ICU)/Emergency Room (ER) (medical or surgical) nursing experience within the last three years.
- Must have completed and passed a required medication test, which is administered by the MTF’s Education and Professional Development unit. The test is to determine ability to calculate medication dosage, and to verify familiarization with medications common to the MTF. A grade of 80 is passing.
- Must successfully complete a competency-based orientation program which is based on medical surgical requirements.
- Must be familiar with various types of medical surgical equipment and current standards of care.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain secret clearance (U.S. Citizenship is required).
- Must be able to read, understand, speak, and write English well enough to effectively communicate with all patients and other health care providers.
- Accurately reviews and confirms completeness of patient chart and reports any abnormalities to appropriate staff in a timely manner.
- Establishes patient goals that are congruent with present and potential physical capabilities and behavioral patterns based on nursing diagnosis by developing outcome statements, criteria for measurement of goals and setting priorities for outcomes based on need.
- Effectively sets up, operates, and monitors therapeutic and emergency equipment such as cardiac monitoring devices, EKG units, vital sign monitors, and oxygen saturation monitors.
- Accurately documents procedures, results of medications, untoward effects from medical/surgical procedures and unusual occurrences as appropriate in the patient’s medical record.
- Ensures that patients are adequately prepared for surgery, both physically and emotionally.
- Demonstrates awareness of the individual rights of the patient.
Position consists of sitting for long periods of time, using hands/fingers, handling, reaching with hands and arms, speaking or translating. Periods of walking, standing, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, and lifting boxes weighing up to 30 pounds. Moderate to extended periods of office work with heavy periods of computer usage. May be assigned occasional to moderate periods of analytical tasks requiring extensive reasoning abilities. It is Katmai’s business philosophy and practice to provide reasonable accommodations, according to applicable state and federal laws, to all qualified individuals with physical or mental disabilities.
Work is performed primarly indoors at a well-lit military treatment facility such as clinic, outpatient facility or hospital. The environment is normally air conditioned, but conditions may change dependent upon circumstances. Work may need to be performed in a fast-paced environment requiring quick thinking and rapid judgements. Employee will be exposed to a wide variety of clients in differing functions, personalities and abilities. Exposure to bloodborne pathogens and bodily fluids, latex, radiation or other contaminants and safety issues. May be exposed to infection or diseases from contact with patients. Work is highly social with patients and can be stressful with a high emotional elements. Decisions made may substantially impact patients and their families.
Work up to 40 hours every week. The schedule shall be determined by the MTF and may include day shift. May be required to work extended hours.
To be considered for this position, all applicants must apply on the company website, http://www.katmaicorp.com/careers.
We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Preference will be given to Ouzinkie Shareholders, Spouses of Shareholders, and Descendants of Shareholders in accordance with Title 43 U.S. Code 1626(g) and Title 42 U.S. Code 2003 - 2(i).
Executive Order 11246, as amended, protects applicants and employees from discrimination based on inquiring about, disclosing, or discussing their compensation or the compensation of other applicants or employees.
Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law Poster:http://media.wix.com/ugd/4c36fae850f00b1b84447786ccd17214867984.pdf_
EEO Supplement Poster: http://media.wix.com/ugd/4c36fa585f835735374d089a44ff899c84ccfb.pdf_
Pay Transparency Poster: http://media.wix.com/ugd/4c36fa_6f7d4fb6d8ce457a87d9f38f9cfe580f.pdf
Right to Work Poster: http://media.wix.com/ugd/4c36fa84cb215622bf49b0ae03418b081847ad.pdf_
Right to Work Poster (Spanish): http://media.wix.com/ugd/4c36facedd5daf5c5f433a8ac24f0e4829b91c.pdf_
E-Verify Poster: http://media.wix.com/ugd/4c36facf68148e2b2d4e9abcadd71c6cfd1364.pdf_
E-Verify Poster (Spanish): http://media.wix.com/ugd/4c36faa404b42bb4ff4cb5ba848ab1524fc761.pdf_
Category: Health Services
Division: Katmai Health Services
Type: Regular Full-Time
FLSA Status: a non-Exempt