SRI International Research Physicist, Atomic-Molecular-Optical (AMO) Physics in Boulder, Colorado
Research Physicist, Atomic-Molecular-Optical (AMO) Physics
SRI International's Advanced Technology and Systems Division (ATSD) performs research across a wide range of disciplines, from novel material development to advanced optical, radar, and imaging systems, transitioning technology from basic R&D to fieldable prototypes.
Our SRI campus in Princeton, NJ has an immediate opening for a Research Physicist within ATSD, specifically to support the growth of our quantum-based sensing program activity. We are seeking a candidate with excellent working knowledge of experimental-based Atomic-Molecular-Optical (AMO) Physics or equivalent, ideally with expertise in quantum sensing or quantum communications subfields. The candidate will make leading contributions to on-going and future research and development programs spanning magnetometry, electrometry, and quantum-based inertial navigation, as well as emerging activities in quantum communications beyond traditional QKD links.
A successful applicant will be expected to contribute to on-going efforts as well as develop new research thrusts for identified customer needs. As well, the candidate will provide input into the overall strategic direction of the activity. The candidate should have an ability and desire to develop new research concepts through direct interactions with potential customers both in and outside their area of academic expertise and a desire to turn such concepts into new program initiatives for which the candidate will be a principal investigator.
The position will be part of a close-knit team of applied physicists and engineers working across SRI on leading-edge R&D projects for our government and commercial customers. The activity will be very hands-on, operating over a variety of projects that involve the development of compact quantum-based sensor prototypes and enabling system demonstrations. Ideally the candidate will span activities from concept generation and initial modeling, proof-of-concept experimental demonstrations, to integration of prototype systems, while possessing an understanding of applications that drive the need for quantum-based solutions.
Auto req ID:
Boulder, CO, Princeton, NJ
--U.S. Citizenship required.
• PhD in Applied Physics, Physics, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent, with post-degree experience a plus.
• U.S. Citizenship required.
• Ability to transfer/obtain/maintain a U.S. government security clearance required. See http://www.dss.mil/psmo-i/ps_faqs.html
Sub-specialties of interest could include:
• Quantum sensing: Magnetometry, electrometry, and/or inertial navigation
• Physics of atom-based vapor cell and/or cold-atom devices and systems
• Atom-photon interactions, including nanofabricated platforms
• Matter-wave interferometry
• Cavity quantum electrodynamics
• Quantum secure communications; quantum memory
• Photonic integrated circuits
The candidate must possess:
• Deep AMO expertise, experimental and/or theoretical
• Experience in precision measurement/metrology using atomic systems
• Experience with laser systems, optics, vacuum systems, RF and electronics
• Should also possess strong numerical and analytical modeling skills (e.g. Matlab, C++, COMSOL, etc.)
• Working knowledge of data acquisition and control systems (e.g. National Instruments) and signal processing
• Strong written and verbal communications skills
• Able to work in a team environment
• Must possess a results-oriented approach
• Interest in multiple technical areas
• Capable of effectively delegating project tasks to team members
SRI is an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.
Candidates who receive a conditional offer of employment will be subject to a background check.